Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April fools day.... No

I know, it's Well past April first, but hear me out! Every year I dread April fools day, not because I will be massively pranked or abused, and not because I never have any good pranks. I dread it because it is the one day every year I cannot trust people.
That seems like a strange thing at first, but for me trust is a big deal. I tend to look for the best in people, which makes it easier to trust them, which makes it easier to befriend them. This is a good practice. I also tend to be rather forgiving, again, good practice. The problem is, when someone betrays my trust, it can be a hard road to build that trust up again, this is a common practice.
So April fools day, what is it really?! 
In my opinion, it has turned into "national emotional bullying day" what was a day which could've been considered "national bully day", the one day a year everyone could unleash their inner-tormentor, has turned into a day when everyone gets on social media to see how many people they can trick. It started out small enough with birthdays being changed and things like that. But it has taken a dramatic turn from there.
The progress of emotional bully day started very slow. As was stated, people changed their birthdays to try and get a good laugh. Soon, it was a changed relationship status, then came engagements, moving, divorce, sicknesses, employment changes, even pregnancies. And we still thought it was funny...
April first is the day which I never read my news feed. I'm not a fan of fake news, and I am seriously not a fan of being blatantly lied to by my friends even though "it's just a prank". The saddest part is seeing how destroyed people get when they realize it isn't real. Pretty sure you could kill your grandmother with a post like that. And what of the people who see you are pregnant or getting married but will never have a baby, or be married. How does your "it was just a joke!" Feel to them? My wife brought that one up in a conversation, it can be down right depressing to watch someone take something you want so dearly and make it out to be a joke... Sad stuff no?

It all goes back to the trust thing. You have done a fantastic job, when you pull these "pranks", in taking and shattering something as precious as trust just for the sake of a "joke". It's not that funny. What someone may not realize is that this isn't "the boy who cried wolf", often times you don't get to run back to the village 3 times before the wolf devours you. Sadly, in today's world, you get one, maybe two chances to make a fool of yourself before people stop caring.
I realize that I seem to be a nit-picky lecturer on human tendencies here on the blog... And I know I'm not perfect. But in a day and age ruled by the Internet, which has made trusting people that much harder, shouldn't we all try a little bit more to be seen as trustworthy people, but also more respectful and caring?
Take it as you will!

No comments: