Monday, November 4, 2013

The internet and the destruction of the acquisition of knowledge

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this topic in the past, but it really hit me today. While browsing facebook, before class, I read a post which I have read hundreds of times. It basically says, "I'm on Facebook, when I should be focusing in class". I'm not being the one to point fingers and chastise, but instead I'm admitting to it myself. Sometimes during class I find myself surfing the web, or checking my emails. This is something that happens, that's that, today, our minds thirst for any kind of stimulant they can grab. The computer, television, even music can be the stimulants we long for. But what's missing, reading, study, even listening during lectures.
So what's happening? We obsess with the internet, where we can acquire any amount of information we want/need in a matter of seconds. So what?! Is this so wrong? Is it a problem that we can obtain infinite knowledge without filter or worry?
I think so.
Not because I am against the internet, nor do I feel that we should not be able to access the internet. It can be a powerful tool! But my opinion stands, due to our overdose of stimulants daily our minds remain wanting and we spend days in class or at home swallowed up by its ability to give us what we want. Information.
But that's the problem, you see, we obtain information, not always knowledge. The internet is vast, with users covering the world. Information goes unchecked, heck, this blog is a source of "information", if you will! Opinions, conspiracy, blogs, all sorts of different things swarm the internet. Reaching into our minds flooding them with information, a lot of it misguided. This here could be seen by some as untrue. But that's the beauty of the internet, anyone anywhere can post anything they want and someday, maybe, it might be read.
Books are scarce, but most of all time is limited. Take it from one who has spent hours on the internet... Time can fly by! And you can sit down in front of a computer and suddenly after 45 videos of cats jumping around, or dumb vine/meme posts on some random website and it's 11 o'clock at night...
so much good about the internet, yet so much evil. That's what it is.

No comments: